The Yukon First Nations Culture and Tourism Association (YFNCT) is facilitating a delegation of 15 Yukon First Nations tourism businesses and organizations to attend the International Indigenous Tourism Conference in Kelowna, British Columbia from November 12 - 14, 2019.
YFNCT has applied for funding through the Enterprise Trade Fund to support 75% of conference expenses. This includes travel, accommodation and conference registration. Selected delegates will be required to contribute 25% of their costs, in the amount of $450-575 (depending on additional travel expenses to Whitehorse).
PROJECTS GOALS & PRIORITIES
The goals of this project are:
- Highlight Yukon First Nations tourism business initiatives and projects to national and international industry stakeholders
- Increase knowledge of Indigenous tourism best practices and partnerships
- Increase participation of Yukon First Nations tourism businesses in the national and international discussion on Indigenous tourism development
- Build a national and international network of Indigenous tourism businesses
- Highlight opportunities for business and regional partnerships in cultural tourism development
Hosted by the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada, the International Indigenous Tourism Conference (IITC) is an annual conference bringing together people interested and invested in creating and contributing towards the Indigenous tourism industry. The 2019 IITC is hosted on the traditional territory of the Syilx Nation, in partnership with the Nlaápamux and Secwépemc Nations, Tourism Kelowna, Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association, and Indigenous Tourism BC.
This year’s conference theme is “Inspire. Transform. Unite. Accelerating Indigenous tourism growth”. Presentations will be focused on inspiring communities and entrepreneurs to explore tourism as an economic driver. Transform, focuses on the impacts of Indigenous tourism on visitors and Indigenous operators alike. Unite speaks to the power of partnerships and coming together to empower the Indigenous tourism industry.
Presentations will include panels and presentation on the following topics:
- ITAC Acceleration Strategy
- Shaping Indigenous Tourism
- Indigenous Tourism Development in Canada
- Developing Indigenous Culinary Tourism
- International Partnerships and Importance of Sharing Best Practices
- International Media
WHO CAN APPLY
- First Nations governments, development and community corporations pursuing tourism development
- Cultural and Interpretive Centres
- Indigenous Tourism Businesses: Operators & Experience Providers
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the attached form to apply for your organization/business to attend the 2019 IITC. If you have any questions, contact Alexis Hougen.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
5PM, September 27th, 2019
Marketing and Projects Coordinator
(867) 667-7698 ext. 205